Marty focuses his practice on commercial real estate transaction matters, including office, retail and industrial leasing, acquisitions, dispositions, development, joint ventures, and financings. He has represented commercial developers, Fortune 500 companies, national retailers, pension funds, insurance companies, real estate entrepreneurs, professional service firms, railroad companies, governmental bodies and others in sophisticated commercial real estate transaction matters. He has also represented Chicago area residential developers on acquisitions, dispositions and development of large residential projects and the redevelopment of distressed residential projects.
With more than 25 years of real estate law experience, some of Marty’s representations have included:
- a Chicago area retail real estate developer in connection with the acquisition, redevelopment, leasing and sale of Chicago area properties,
- a Fortune 500 company as lead national outside real estate counsel in connection with its portfolio of leased office real estate throughout the United States,
- a large national retailer for its store leasing and acquisitions across the United States and its national headquarters office lease,
- a Chicago area residential real estate developer in connection with the bulk purchase of financially distressed improved lots, condominium units and townhome units,
- a large national insurance company as regional outside counsel in connection with the leasing of its Chicago area portfolio of owned office and industrial properties,
- significant office leasing matters for both landlords and tenants at downtown and suburban Chicago office properties, and
- numerous acquisitions and dispositions of all types of commercial properties.
Marty’s prior work history includes working as a real estate partner at an AM Law 100 law firm where he was co-leader of the firm’s national real estate commercial leasing team.
- Illinois, 1990
- Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. – 1990
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.B.A. in Finance – 1985
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
Prior Legal Affiliations
- The Murphy Law Firm, Westchester, Illinois, Founding Partner, 2009 – 2016
- Holland & Knight, Chicago, Illinois office, Partner, 2001 – 2009
- Holland & Knight, Chicago, Illinois office, Associate, 2000 – 2001
- Burke, Weaver & Prell (combined with Holland & Knight in 2000), Chicago, Illinois, Associate, 1994 – 2000
- O’Brien, O’Rourke, Hogan & McNulty, Chicago, Illinois, Associate, 1992 – 1994
- Burke, Wilson & McIlvaine, Chicago, Illinois, Associate, 1990 – 1992