Marty focuses his practice on commercial real estate and business transaction matters, including retail, office, and industrial leasing, purchases, sales and development, residential development, and other commercial real estate and business transaction matters. He has represented sellers, buyers, landlords, tenants, developers, borrowers, lenders, owners, governmental bodies, and others in sophisticated real estate and business transaction matters.
His work has included negotiating and preparing numerous purchase and sale agreements, commercial leases, CCRs, easements, loan documents, brokerage agreements, asset purchase agreements, and other real estate and commercial agreements for a variety of retail, office, large residential, governmental, and other clients. Some past and present client representations include:
• Representation of a Chicago area retail real estate developer in connection with the acquisition, development, leasing and sale of Chicago area properties. Leases have included leases to national health club operator, national specialty grocery store, large regional furniture store and other tenants.
• Representation of a Fortune 500 company as lead national outside real estate counsel in connection with its portfolio of leased office real estate throughout the United States. This work included the negotiation and completion of numerous office leases (as tenant), lease amendments, subleases (as sublandlord), national brokerage agreements, form real estate lease documents, and other office lease related matters for office spaces of up to 300,000 square feet.
• Representation of a large national retailer that owns and leases over 1000 retail sites in the United States. This work included hundreds of real estate and corporate matters involving the negotiation and drafting of retail store leases, ground leases, purchase and sale agreements, asset purchase agreements, form real estate documents, and national service contracts as well as other real estate matters involving the company’s owned and leased real estate.
• Representation of a Chicago area residential real estate developer in connection with the bulk purchase of financially distressed improved lots, condominium units, and townhome units.
• Representation of a Chicago area residential home builder involving numerous purchases and sales of large tracts of land, large blocks of improved lots, and assistance with the development of the acquired land. Transactions included properties of hundreds of acres and transaction values of tens of millions of dollars.
• Representation of a large national insurance company as regional outside counsel in connection with the leasing of its Chicago area portfolio of owned office and industrial properties, including the negotiation of leases and lease amendments and preparation of form lease documents.
Marty’s prior work history includes working as a real estate partner at an AM Law 100 law firm where he was co-leader of the firm’s national real estate leasing team and editor of the real estate department’s quarterly periodical.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate
- Commercial Transaction Matters
- Illinois, 1990
- Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. – 1990
- University of Notre Dame
- B.B.A. in Finance – 1985
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, Real Property Law Section
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- The Murphy Law Firm, Westchester, Illinois, Founding Partner, 2009 – 2016
- Holland & Knight, Chicago, Illinois office, Partner, 2001 – 2009
- Holland & Knight, Chicago, Illinois office, Associate, 2000 – 2001
- Burke, Weaver & Prell (combined with Holland & Knight in 2000), Chicago, Illinois, Associate, 1994 – 2000
- O’Brien, O’Rourke, Hogan & McNulty, Chicago, Illinois, Associate, 1992 – 1994
- Burke, Wilson & McIlvaine, Chicago, Illinois, Associate, 1990 – 1992